On March 5, 2021, Dr. Tim Uhl was appointed as superintendent of the Diocese of Buffalo. Here is an article with the details, and another the next day with more quotes. Here’s an article from May 14th which describes his vision for Catholic schools.
From 2014-2021, Dr. Uhl served as the superintendent of Catholic Schools for Montana, serving 23 schools, 3900+ students, and two dioceses (Helena and Great Falls-Billings). He previously served as the principal of Holy Rosary Regional School in Tacoma and Catholic High School in New Iberia, Louisiana. He is the founder of “Catholic School Matters,” a podcast about Catholic Schools. He publishes a Montana Catholic Schools website full of great resources and a weekly newsletter “Catholic School Matters” with great information, too.
Dr. Uhl’s first book (Orchestrating Conflict: Case Studies in Catholic School Leadership) is in production and will be released in March 2020. Catholic school leaders are facing a myriad of conflicts and controversies. The case study method and deliberate practice—involving a systematic method of analyzing and reflecting on conflicts—help school leaders to meet the challenges of Catholic school leadership. Inside are twelve case studies, a method for learning from these controversies, and an appendix full of other potential scenarios for further study.
Link to Dr. Uhl’s book Orchestrating Conflict: Case Studies in Catholic School Leadership (2020)
- 2021 January 19 “Beyond Test Scores: Measuring the Contributions of Catholic Schools & Universities” (panelist)
- 2020 September International Catholic Stewardship Conference “Podcasting as Stewardship”
- 2020 American Indian Catholic School Network Summer Conference July 2020 “Orchestrating Conflict”
- 2020 Summer, Guest Faculty, University of Dayton’s Summer Leadership Programs
- 2020 Archdiocese of Chicago Principal Workshop July 2020 “Church Documents”
- 2020 LaSallian Association of Secondary School Chief Administrators Conference Keynote, February 25th, “Finding a Way”
- 2019 Catholic Central HS (Steubenville, OH) presentation “Why Should Parents Value Catholic Education”
- 2019 Diocese of Little Rock Teachers Convention, “Moving Forward as Disciples”
- 2019 “Brainpower Connection” Keynote in San Antonio: “Hope & Trauma: The Experience of Lay Catholics”
- 2019 ICSL Workshop: “Finding Your Moral Compass: Leadership Scenarios”
- 2019 University of Dayton’s Catholic Education Summit: Keynote Address
- 2019 NCEA Convention: “Leadership in an Age of Missionary Discipleship”
- 2019 Diocesan Summit: “How to Revitalize the Catholic Church”
- 2019 Guam Professional Development: “Boards of Limited Jurisdiction”
- 2018 Montana Catholic Schools Retreat: “Joy of the Gospel”
- 2018 Shreveport Professional Development: “Boards of Limited Jurisdiction”
- 2018 Diocese of Helena Leadership Camp: “Joy of the Gospel”
- 2018 ACE Remick Lecture: “Learning from Mistakes”
- 2018 Cedar Valley Catholic Schools: Administrative Retreat
- 2018 NCEA Convention: “Podcasting 102”
- 2018 University of Dayton CLIP: “Innovation in Catholic Education”
- 2017 CLS Meeting: “Principal Formation Model”
- 2017 NCEA Convention: “Merging Three Schools”
- 2016 Diocese of Wheeling Catholic Teacher Days: “Catholic School Communication”
- 2016 NCEA Convention: “Using MAP Testing in Montana Schools”
- 2014 NCEA Convention: “Implementing Two-Way Immersion”
- 2013 NCEA Convention: “Turning Around a School”
- 2007 NCEA Convention: “First Year Trials of a New Administrator”
- 2005 NCEA Convention: “Pop Culture Primer”
- “COVID Witness to Hope” (with 5 collaborators) in The rolling COVID issue of Journal of Catholic Education Access the PDF version here.
- “We Were Wrong About the Kneeling Protests June 22 2020 National Catholic Reporter Access the PDF version here.
- “Subsidiarity & Innovation During the Pandemic” June 10 2020 Journal of Catholic Education Access the PDF version here.
- Dr. Uhl wrote a blog post on the Partnership NYC blog “Telling Essential Stories.”
- Dr. Uhl interviewed in the April 10 2020 NCR Article “What does climate change demand of Catholic education?” Access the PDF version here.
- AVLI’s Cross Currents article “Future Forward Leadership: Leading Catholic Schools through the COVID-10 Crisis“
- Momentum January article on Catholic school budgeting and best practices in finance Access the PDF version here.
- Education Si Bulletin Fall 2019 “Innovations: The Catholic School Matters Newsletter in the United States” Access the PDF version here.
- ACE blog post about Dr. Uhl’s work with the Reform Leaders Summit (Feb 2019) Access the PDF version here.
- NCR article “Montana’s Catholic Schools Strive to Keep Native American Cultural Relevance” March 25, 2019 Access the PDF version here.
- Guam Post article about Dr. Uhl’s work at Dominican and Santa Barbara Catholic School (Feb 2019)
- January 25th America article which includes quotes from Dr. Uhl entitled “The Era of the Parochial School is Over” Access the PDF version here.
- “Formation Model for Catholic School Leaders: Results from a National Survey” Summer 2018 Momentum Access the PDF version here.
- NCR article about Dr. Uhl and the Catholic School Matters podcast Feb 2018. Access the PDF version here.
- Access the PDF version here.Winter 2018 Momentum article about Effective Evaluations Access the PDF version here.
- Dr. Uhl’s article in Fall 2017 Momentum about Effective Interview Questions Access the PDF version here.
- NCEA & Dr. Uhl announce partnership for “Catholic School Matters” Access the PDF version here.
- Summer 2017 Momentum article with Dr. Raul Escarpio entitled “The Intersection Between Serving Hispanic Students and Exceptional Learners” Access the PDF version here.
- “American Educator Releases New Podcast About Catholic Education” in the CCSTA (Canadian Catholic Schools Trustee Association” newsletter Access the PDF version here.
- Fall 2016 Momentum (NCEA’s publication) profile on pp. 14-15 Access the PDF version here.
- Feb 25, 2016 Op-Ed in Billings Gazette “Catholic Schools Serve Students With Diverse Needs” Access the PDF version here.
- Sep 2014 article “New Montana Superintendent of Catholic Schools Makes His Rounds Around the State” Access the PDF version here.
- July 2014 article “Helena Diocese names new superintendent of schools” Access the PDF version here.
- “Called to Catholic Education” article in NW Catholic about Dr. Uhl at Holy Rosary Regional School-Juan Diego Academy.
- ACE article in 2015 chronicles the Dual Language Journey of Holy Rosary Regional School.